This 3-week class will cover how food functions in your body as fuel, how your body detoxifies from your metabolic processes and food waste, and how to eat to support your body’s biochemical needs without sacrificing pleasure.
- Daily coaching emails with downloadable handouts
- 2x weekly live class sessions Mon evening and Thurs lunchtime (recorded for later viewing)
- Online private course community
- Limited class size
- Food journal, shopping list, and recipe guide for each week
- All materials accommodating to vegetarians, vegans, food sensitivities, and allergies
Week 1: What Am I Eating?
- Photonutrient spectrum food plan, recipe book, shopping list
- Mindful eating
- How to read a food label
- How are food and stress related?
- Eating on a budget
- Organic and conventional food production, GMO’s, and pesticides
- Relationship between activity and food
- Talk 1: Overview of metabolism
- Talk 2: Macronutrients and micronutrients
Week 2: Detox and “Clean House”
- Detox food plan, recipe book, shopping list
- Cooking to preserve nutrients
- Nontoxic food preparation, cookware, and dishes
- What is fiber and why do I need it?
- Power of sleep and rest
- Natural and artificial sweeteners
- Intestinal permeability and leaky gut
- Anti-inflammatory foods
- Self-made skin care
- Talk 1: Detox pathways and nutrients
- Talk 2: Increased intestinal permeability: Leaky gut
Week 3: Fundamentals of Healthy Eating
- Core food plan, recipe book, shopping list
- Microbiome, prebiotics, and probiotics
- Fermented foods
- Cultivating self awareness and mindfulness
- How to build a better smoothie
- Cooking with fats and oils
- Eating seasonally
- Guide to portion sizes
- Talk 1: Microbiome, prebiotics, probiotics, and synbiotics
- Talk 2: Menu planning and food preparation strategies
Your time commitment:
- Introductory 60 min live call with Dr. Smith to go over the course outline, discuss food journaling, cover introductory concepts, and get to know each other (recorded for later viewing).
- 5-10 min each day to read a daily support email
- 5 min each day for food journal
- Time for food preparation (similar to what you’re already doing)
- 50 min 2x/week for live group calls with Dr. Smith (Recorded for later viewing.)
- Time on weekends for food shopping and preparation (like you’re already doing)
Upcoming Class Options:
April 8-28, 2023
- Intro session Saturday, Apr 8, 2023, 10:00 – 11:00 AM CST
- Live class Mondays 6-7 PM CST and Thursdays 12-1 PM CST
- Class ends Friday, Apr 28, 2023
Only $300 for all these materials, MD-guided course, online supportive community, recipe guides, shopping lists, daily materials, and much more!
NOTE: YOU DO NOT NEED TO LIVE IN ILLINOIS OR BE AN ACTIVE PATIENT OF DR. SMITH’S TO REGISTER FOR THE CLASS. THE CLASS IS OPEN TO ANYONE, ANYWHERE ALL OVER THE WORLD.
Workshop: Reframing Caretaker-Child Relationships: Using Traditional East Asian Medicine Principles to Create Balance in Your Home
Five Element (5E) theory is one framework used by traditional East Asian medicine practitioners to determine pathology and treatment such as dietary recommendations, placement of acupuncture needles, and use of techniques such as gua sha, cupping, moxibustion, and tui na.
One of the beautiful and useful components of 5E is that it also provides insights into personality types and how those types interact with each other: are they supportive, neutral, or antagonistic? What triggers imbalance and disharmony in each type of person and how can the different personality types learn to work together.
By using this framework, we can begin to take some of the judgment out of places of friction in interpersonal relationships and learn to anticipate rough patches, repair them quickly, and prevent them from becoming permanent injuries.
Come and join Dr. Sina Leslie Smith, medical doctor and licensed acupuncturist, and Ms. Tiffany Tafe, early education specialist and elementary school teacher, for a half-day workshop designed for teachers and caretakers of children, we will explore adult and child personalities, how they interface, and how to better these relationships.
Specifically, we will:
-Discuss the theory of the Five Elements
-Perform a 5E personality test for attendees
-Identify the 5E type of children for whom attendees are caring
-Explore a wide range of methods for creating more harmonious methods of interacting, honoring the path of the caretaker and the child
In person workshop will held on:
Sunday, April 30, 2023, 9:00 AM – 1:30 PM in Chicago (exact location TBD).
Only $425 for first person (parent, caretaker, teacher, nanny) in household and $300 for second person (parent, grandparent, nanny, teacher) caring for child/children in same household.
Register using the same link above.